HSBC Privacy Principles
Our business has been built on trust between our customers and ourselves. To preserve the confidentiality of all information you provide to us, we, The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited, India ("HSBC"), maintain the following privacy principles:
- We only collect personal information that we believe to be relevant and required to understand your financial needs and to conduct our business.
- We use your personal information to provide you with better customer services and products.
- We may pass your personal information to other HSBC Group companies or any agent or third party service provider unless prohibited by laws and regulations. We will not disclose your personal information to any external organisation unless we have your consent or are required by laws and regulations or have previously informed you.
- We may be required from time to time to disclose your personal information to Governmental or judicial bodies or agencies or our regulators, but we will only do so under proper authority.
- We aim to keep your personal information on our records accurate and up-to-date therefore you are required to update your personal information from time to time.
- We maintain strict security systems designed to prevent unauthorised access to your personal information by anyone, including our staff.
- HSBC Group companies, our staff and any agent or third party service provider with access to your information are required to observe our confidentiality obligations.
By maintaining our commitment to these principles, we at HSBC will ensure that we respect the inherent trust that you place in us.
Your privacy matters to us
This section provides specific details of how we treat any personal information you might wish to provide us when you visit this site (i.e. www.hsbc.co.in ).
- Security is our top priority. HSBC will strive at all times to ensure that your personal information will be protected against unauthorised or accidental access, processing or erasure. We maintain this commitment to data security by implementing appropriate physical, electronic and managerial measures to safeguard and secure your personal information.
- The secure area of our website supports the use of Secure Socket Layer(SSL)protocol and 128-encryption technology - an industry standard for encryption over the Internet to protect data. When you provide sensitive information such as credit card details, it will be automatically converted into codes before being securely dispatched over the Internet.
- Our web servers are protected behind "firewalls" and our systems are monitored to prevent any unauthorised access. We will not send personal information to you by ordinary email. As the security of ordinary email cannot be guaranteed, you should only send email to us using the secure email facility on our website. All practical steps will be taken to ensure that personal information will not be kept longer than necessary and that HSBC will comply with all legal, statutory and regulatory requirements concerning the retention of personally identifiable information.
Collection of Personal Information
- Both you and HSBC play an important role in protecting against online fraud. You should be careful that your bank account details including your User ID(s) and/or Passwords/personal identification numbers (PIN) are not compromised by ensuring that you do not knowingly or accidentally share, provide or facilitate unauthorised use of it. Please do not share your User ID and/or password or allow access or use of it by others. We endeavor to put in place high standards of security to protect your interests.
- You should safeguard your unique User ID(s) and Passwords/PINs by keeping it secret and confidential. Kindly never write them down or share these details with anyone. HSBC will never ask you for your Passwords/PINs, in order to ensure that you are the only person who knows this information. When choosing your unique User ID and Password for the first time, do not create it using easily identifiable information such as your birthday, telephone number or a recognisable part of your name. If you think your User ID and/or Passwords/PINs have been disclosed to third party is lost or stolen and unauthorised transactions may have been conducted, you are responsible to inform us immediately.
- Use of "cookies": Your visit to this site may be recorded for analysis on the number of visitors to the site and general usage patterns. Some of this information will be gathered through the use of "cookies". Cookies are small bits of information that are automatically stored on a person's web browser in their computer that can be retrieved by this site. Should you wish to disable these cookies you may do so by changing the setting on your browser. However, you will be unable to enter certain part(s) of our website, including online@hsbc.
- Marketing Promotions: Occasionally we may collect personal information from visitors to this site and those individuals that participate in a contest or promotion (online or over the telephone, or at one of our branches). Such information is only collected from individuals who voluntarily provide us with their personal information. We may use this information to advise them of products, services and other marketing materials, which we think, may be of interest to them. We may also invite visitors to this site to participate in market research and surveys and other similar activities.
If we do ask you to provide personal information, we will specify the purpose for which such personal information is collected and it is used for the purpose specified at the time of collection.
Our Information Collection Statement
The Statement is intended to notify you why personal information is collected, how it will be used and to whom data access requests are to be addressed.
- Why we collect your personal information - we collect your personal information to carry out and administer our services to you and in an effort to improve your customer experience. Without such data, HSBC may be unable to open or continue accounts or establish or continue banking facilities or provide banking services.
- Personal Information is also collected from customers in the ordinary course of business to continue the banking relationship, for example, when customers write cheques or deposit money.
- How your personal information may be used - Personal Information relating to a customer may be used to:
- Facilitate the daily operation of the services and credit facilities provided to customers;
- conduct credit checks;
- assist other financial institutions to conduct credit checks and collect debts;
- ensure ongoing credit worthiness of customers;
- design financial services or related products for customers' use;
- market financial services or related products;
- determine the amount of indebtedness owed to or by customers;
- collect amounts outstanding from customers and those providing security for customers' obligations;
- meet the disclosure requirements of any law binding on HSBC or any of its branches;
- enable an actual or proposed assignee of HSBC, or participant or sub-participant of HSBC's rights in respect of the customer to evaluate the transaction intended to be the subject of the assignment, participation or sub-participation; to meet legal, regulatory or HSBC’s internal policy requirement; and to fulfill any other purposes relating thereto.
- Disclosure of your personal information held by HSBC relating to a customer will be kept confidential, but, HSBC may provide such information to the following parties for the purposes set out in paragraph (c):
- any agent or third party service provider who provides administrative, telecommunications, computer, payment or securities clearing or other services to HSBC in connection with the operation of its business;
- any other person under a duty of confidentiality to HSBC including a Group company of HSBC which has undertaken to keep such information confidential;
- the drawee bank providing a copy of a paid cheque (which may contain information about the payee) to the drawer;
- credit reference agencies, and, in the event of default, to debt collection agencies;
- any person to whom HSBC is under an obligation to make disclosure under the requirements of any law binding on HSBC or any of its branches; and
- any actual or proposed assignee of HSBC or participant or sub-participant or transferee of HSBC's rights in respect of the customer.
- HSBC retains the right to charge a reasonable fee for the processing of any data access request.
- We use our own Group entities and agents or third party service providers to process some of the requirement to service your request and you may approach us in writing in case your wish to obtain a copy of such personal information.
- Any grievances relating to use or handling of your sensitive personal data may be brought to our notice by writing to the Regional Nodal Officers / Chief Nodal Officer. You may obtain the details of the Nodal Officers by visiting the grievance redressal page on our website at https://www.hsbc.co.in/1/2/miscellaneous/grievance-redressal
By accessing this web site and any of its pages you are agreeing to the terms set out above. Thank you for choosing HSBC.